Sunday 1 March 2015

Student Mentoring - Feb. 9, 2015


Today I met the student I will be mentoring and helping with her writing skills.  She shared a piece of her creative writing that she completed for a ‘free write’ and I was extremely impressed.  She needs very little help in this area.  Her spelling and punctuation was almost perfect and she is extremely expressive and creative.  I was beginning to feel like she should be helping me, not the other way around.  We talked for a little while about her likes and dislikes when it comes to writing and some of the assignments she is currently working on.  It turns out that she has to write a history paper on any topic in North American history from 1890 -1914.  She was stuck on a topic, and she was not sure how to begin a history paper.  I told her she was in luck: history is my major and writing historical essays is my forte. I helped her choose a topic and will be assisting her writing progress over the next few sessions together.  Below is a link to a website I will give her which should be helpful in structuring her paper.  There are step by step tips on how to establish a topic, research, organize, and write a research paper, and it is directed at an intermediate level writer so the language is very straightforward.  


http://www.infoplease.com/homework/writingskills1.html

1 comment:

  1. Super resources here. I like the way it provides so many models.

    ReplyDelete